Brownells

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Modern Sporting Rifle

Several years ago I purchased a DPMS LR-308 7.62mm NATO/.308 Winchester rifle.  I ordered this rifle built to my specifications and it turned out to be a tack driver. The first groups were .5” to .75” groups at 100 yards with Winchester USA and American Eagle factory ammo.   It had a 24” stainless fluted barrel, free float hand guard, Miculek muzzle brake, JP adjustable trigger and optional dust cover.  I mounted a Bushnell 4000 6x24 scope to the rifle that provided more than enough power to shoot small target at long range.  This rifle was heavy and perfect for shooting from the bench, prone or over my A.L.I.C.E. pack in the field.  I decided to take it elk hunting in the central Washington mountains and realized that it is just too heavy for hunting.  I tried to shoot a coyote offhand and the rifle was unwieldy in the offhand position.   I sold the rifle in the spring and replaced it with a Bravo Company USA AR-15 mid-length carbine in 5.56.

My next attempt at a modern hunting rifle is on the AR-15 platform.  I just received my Stag 16” 6.8 SPC complete upper assembly that I am going to put on my LMT national match lower.  This will be my new elk, deer and coyote rifle.  I ordered a new Burris 2x7x35 E1 Fullfield II scope that should arrive this week.  This rifle will be much shorter and lighter.  Most of the elk that we kill are shoot at less than 200 yards away and I think the 6.8SPC with a Silver State Armory ammo loaded with Barnes Triple-X will perform just fine.

After I get the rifle sighted in I will provide some additional information about the Stag upper.

No comments:

Post a Comment