Brownells

Monday, October 29, 2012

6.8SPC II for Elk

Elk season is in full swing here in Washington State.  My hunting partners have already set up camp in Central Washington and I can’t wait to get there on Thursday morning.  I went to the range last Friday night to sight-in my new hunting rifle.  As mentioned in an earlier post, my new rifle is a Stag Arms 16” 6.8SPC II M-4 upper attached to a LMT national match lower with a Burris E-1 2x7x35 scope.  I tried to find some Silver State Armory ammunition locally but no one had it in stock so I will be using Hornady 120gr SST ammunition.  I drove out to the Spokane Valley Rifle range at Mica, Washington.  The conditions were perfect for elk hunting but not for sighting in a rifle; 50 degrees, foggy and a light drizzle.  Plus all of the covered firing positions and sturdy benches were already being used by other shooters.  So I set up at the only available “bench” and placed paper at 25, 100 and 200 yards.  I fired three rounds at 25 yards to get a rough zero to at 100 yards.  I moved to the 100 yard target and made some final adjustments to put my zero two inches high at 100 yards.  Next I fired 6 rounds at 200 yards I was adjusted dead on at 200.  I fired two 3-shot groups that measured 2-7/8” each.  Considering the less than sturdy bench, the weather condition and the non-free-floating barrel, I was extremely happy with the accuracy.  I look forward to further testing when the weather improves.

There are steel targets on the Mica range and I proceeded to ring the steel at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards.  I fired one shot each using the bullet drop compensating reticle and connected with each shot.  To say that I am happy with this new upper is an understatement!  I just need to find an elk and I will be good to go.  There will be no excuse for a miss because of the rifle!

I will return from the mountains on Sunday and will let you know how I did. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment