Brownells

Monday, December 20, 2010

The Local Gun Shop

One of my favorite ways to unwind after work is to visit one of the local gun shops on the way home. Thirty minutes spent browsing through the used gun rack helps me clear my mind of the all of the problems that the day brought my way. I am always anxious to see what I might find. Today’s find could be a used three-screw Ruger blackhawk or a gently used more modern handgun. Odds are I won’t purchase something today, but I can guarantee that I will find something that I must actually handle and inspect. Sometimes that is all that is needed. Other times something is triggered in my mind that makes me feel like it must go home with me. What causes that to happen? Is it an old magazine article that romanticized this particular piece? Or maybe a friend had one long ago that I was able to shoot. It is hard to say, but sometimes it happens…

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gun Guy,

    How do you know that a shop is reputable? Can you write about what someone can look for when checking out a new gun shop?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent question and a difficult one to address. Defining whether a shop is reputable or not is a very subjective thing. I would suggest contacting the better business bureau as a first step. Secondly you need to talk to a friend that is involved with firearms or hunting. This person may have an opinion of the local gun shops in the area or know someone personally that has the information that you are looking for. The last option is to visit a few shops in the area. A person with a little discernment can make a pretty good judgment based on the way they are treated. You can always follow up your conversation with a few internet searches to verify or disavow what you have been told. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete